I remember the day I realized that going out in service is not only to preach the Good News of God's Kingdom, but to encourage and commend one another. After that day, service became more enjoyable for me. I learned to take it easy, and to really make my time count and not only count my time. Not only was I focus on finding those honest hearted ones, but I tried my best to get along with my service partner and really tried to get to know them. More than just the basic facts. Of course, we all have different personalities and its not always easy to find something to talk about, but talking about the truth always works!
Today, it was only 3 of us who came out in service. At first, I was a little discouraged because out of the 13-15 pioneers in the congregation, only 3 of us came out? Ok, well let's not focus on that fact. But little did I know that today would once again teach me a lesson about why I belong here.
The brother and sister I went out with are local friends. The brother comes from the Spanish congregation and the sister comes from the Mexican sign language congregation. Both are single and travel alone to the meetings. They have been in the English congregation for less than 2 years. Both are pioneers. And both have gone through exactly what I am going through!
At one point, they too wanted to return to their home congregation with their families. They felt that they weren't cut out to serve in the English field. That they would never learn English. That the congregation didn't need them. They felt intimidated to speak English. They were completely broken at heart. Sound familiar? Whether you have heard of someone going through this (me), or have experienced it yourself, we know how difficult it could be to find the strength to keep on going. But this is where Jehovah comes into play, and our fellow brothers and sisters.
What encouraged them to stay in the congregation? The loving elders and local brothers and sisters of the congregation. They each received words of encouragement and the push they needed to keep on going. It is amazing what a simple expression of love can do for our dear friends in the congregation. Telling them, "I enjoyed your comment today." "I'm happy you came out in service today." "Your English (Spanish, Italian, French, Russian, Korean, Sign Language, etc) is improving." A small simple sentence can go a long way.
I then realized that once again I am not the only one to go through an emotional roller coaster. (Which by the way is quite annoying and frustrating.) I need to come to terms that it takes a while to get use to something new. Also, that I need to stop comparing my home congregation to my new.....home....congregation. It is so hard for me to call Oceania Ingles, home. But as long as I am here, I need to accept it. As much as many of you have told me to let go of home and accept this as a direct assignment from Jehovah, and to really see the pros of being here rather than the cons. It is soo hard for me to do. But I am trying my best, I really am. I pray A LOT to Jehovah. Which helps a lot, because some times I think he is the only one who understands. But I do appreciate all who have taken the time to encourage me. Means a lot to me!
So, if by the end of your service day you haven't been able to speak to someone about the truth, at least make sure you have let your service partner know how much you appreciate them. You never know what impact that could have on them.
Well, thank you for stopping by!
P.S. If I haven't told you already, I am going back for vacation (taking a vacation from my vacation) in 4 weeks I will be in NYC, then 3 weeks in Chicago, then back in NYC for 2 weeks! Whoop whoop !!!! Looking forward to seeing many of you! Can't wait to eat lots of delicious American, Italian, Thai, Chinese, Indian, even some Mexican-American food.
Thank you for making this blog. Very encouraging. Sigue adelante y Jehova te va bendecir sin que lo esperas.
ReplyDelete