It was 144 days ago when my parents and I arrived in the great Mexico City. I came to Mexico expecting the worst. Like getting robbed, kidnapped, lost, or being completely unhappy all the time. But thanks to Jehovah, none of those happened. It was the contrary, I could say that I enjoyed my time here these past 4 1/2 months.
What have I gotten out of my time here, so far? Even though I can't take the full credit of saying "I moved to Mexico because I wanted to help where the need was great," I can say that I chose to come to Mexico to be with my parents,and to try out something new. Something I wasn't used to. Something I knew it would take a lot to adapt to. I could say that I tried my hardest to make the best of it, and to have an amazing time. Something I would never forget. I speak like I am not coming back to Mexico. For those who are wondering, I have a flight back to Mexico for March 13th. To start the second adventure of living in Mexico City.
Before coming one of my goals was to serve where the need is great. I would pray to Jehovah, that in the near future I wanted to experience service in another country. Little did I know that he would answer my prayers by opening up the opportunity to come down to Mexico City to serve in the English congregation! English! Not Spanish, English! And with my parents! As a close friend once told me, I have the best of both worlds. My parents and serving where the need is great! Of course, it took me a while to realize what a great privilege I have.
Even though adapting to the transportation, the culture, the people, the food and change of congregation language was hard, I can say that everything has been well worth it thus far. This city isn't my favorite, but slowly I am trying to focus on the positive. Every time I take the bus, train, taxi or walk by a group of men that look like they are about to mug me, I think about the brothers and sisters in the congregation and the people that yet have to learn about Jehovah.
I want to encourage anyone who has or hasn't thought about serving where the need is great, to do it. Even if it seems like an impossible task. Or even if its just for a few weeks, months or one year. Do it! We will never have the perfect circumstances for anything. You just have to put it in prayer, and then act according to your prayer. There's an article that just came out in the study edition of the April Watchtower, that speaks of a few friends that offered themselves willingly in Mexico. Check it out!!
Also when speaking about sacrifices, my friend Maaya, put it nicely when she told me one day:
"Matthew 6:16- "When you are fasting, stop becoming sad-faced like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting."
When we make sacrifices... not that it won't have its challenges and we won't be sad at times, but that at the end we hope that we can be an encouraging example to others. We aren't like other religions that make lavish contributions out of their surplus or make sacrifices for recognition and status... We do it out of the joy of our heart. In turn we hope that we are doing so with a positive attitude so that we can show a joyful spirit. Make others envious in a good manner of the work we do so that they can see it as something maybe they should strive for."
I couldn't have said it better myself! Thank you Maaya!
Well, for the next 50 days I will be back in the States! Visiting New York City for a week, then to my hometown Chicago for 3 weeks, then back to New York City for 2 weeks. During those 2 weeks, 2 sisters from my congregation will be meeting up with me! Touring the city, Bethel and maybe even Washington D.C.
I will update y'all in the coming weeks! I look forward to seeing my friends, family and former congregation!!
Thank you for stopping by!!
Nancy:D




Welcome back =) enjoy your stay.
ReplyDeleteThank you brother:)
DeleteHola mi hermana! Saludos from your sister in the Central/Fingerlakes area of New York. :)
ReplyDeleteI just wanted to tell you that I love your blog! I just found it a few hours ago and already read through all your posts. You have brought me to tears several times and I wish I could reach through the computer screen and give you a hug! Adjustments are not always easy and they can be very difficult at times. Such a blessing from Jehovah that we have the international brotherhood!
I have to admit that moving to Mexico City would make me feel quite nervous and apprehensive, too. But at least the brothers & sisters take such good care of each other! I was in Guadalajara for three weeks last year and right now I'm making plans to go back. So, if all goes according to plan, in a year from now I'll be back in Mexico! Right now the plan is to serve in the English field for a few months, but I am considering Spanish also. Plenty of things to think about!
Again, I love your blog and look forward to more posts. Oh, and I'm sure you get this a lot, but you are one chica hermosa! :)
Abrazos y Besos!
My dear sister Melissa,
DeleteThank you for your kind words, and for taking the time to read my blog. I am glad that you enjoyed it. I really never thought that friends would even read it, lol.
As for your plans, that's awesome! Keep it in your prayers, be specific and Jehovah will bless you tremendously!
I've never been to Guadalajara but I heard its beautiful! Well, if you're ever near Mexico City please let me know. Well, take care and once again thank you for stopping by!
Abrazo fuerte!
Nancy